Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Living With Faeries: A Journal | Day Eight

Ah, I have been so busy! We have arrived at the faerie settlement. I have had barely any time to write- the faeries have been busying us with tours of Candelabra and large banquets welcoming us to their lands. We must remember to remain in character, however- the faeries must believe that we are of their kind.
Candelabra is beautiful beyond thought or memory! It is set in a clearing deep in the forest. Homes are built among the roots of trees, with tiny gardens blooming in front of each one. Small huts adorn the branches of trees high above, as well. Tiny rivers flow through the clearing, and faeries can be seen playing in or drinking from their waters. Trails shoot into the trees, and faint music always tinkles from deep in the dark woods. Still, though, I sense an underlying tension in the atmosphere… Something fills the air with an unexplainable sadness, a gloom that seems to dull and drain the land’s energy, and that of the faeries here. I have dismissed it. The faeries are known for their cold beauty, and serious natures… I suppose it is best just to accept their culture now.
A beautiful castle sits atop a hill at the head of the clearing. It sits high above a vast moat, it’s spires climbing gracefully into the air. No human architecture could ever match the ornate curves of this beautiful palace. I have been informed that the castle’s name is Vestrialis, which means “Moon twist” in the Silvan language. Vestralias dances in my mind even now, it’s beauty is so enchanting.

There is a quiet grace and solemnity here, a… certain lack of bustle, I suppose, and it is quite refreshing. I sit now, watching lilies the size of trees sway in the breeze, my pen dancing upon the parchment that rests in my lap.

This evening Candelabra held an enormous banquet to welcome us four. The food was exotic, exquisite, and refined all at the same time. The meal was followed by a magnificent dance. The dance was held in the hall of lamps, a magnificent, open dining room adorned head to toe with bright, bulbous lamps of all colours. Dim light illuminated the hall and nudged away the darkness. We danced long into the evening to the faeries’ beautifully discordant melodies as the trees outside began to shine in the moonlight. Although we had an excellent time, it was worrisome to see our grace so outmatched. Our dancing was clumsy and slow compared to their elegant choreography, and I am experienced in both ballroom and waltz.

The dancing abruptly ended at the stroke of 12. The lamps faded out. All of the faeries flooded away into the night. Except one.

A male faerie of average height stood before my friends and I. He had a certain careless bearing about him that was not shared by the other Faeries. He wore a weathered shamrock  upon his head like a cap, and his wings shone a silky emerald. He flitted gently in place as he gazed upon us.

“You are different than the others.” The strange sprite finally observed. Silence hung in the air.

“What makes you say that?” I finally managed, still taken aback by his youthfully relaxed demeanor.

“You do not hold yourselves like typical faeries; You are more solidly built, and you stand with less confidence.”

Impressed by his boldness, I took a step forward and extended my hand. “I’m Kindler.”

“And I am Clover.” He shook jovially. The concept of shaking hands was clearly new to him. “Why are you here?”

“We are Faeries from a distant land, seeking a new home in the Forests of Twilight.” I explained. “Our home was destroyed by a horde of angry wasps, and we sole survivors have come to Candelabra seeking refuge.” I hoped I had gotten it right! In my anxiety at being asked, panic had addled my mind.

“Oh! Well then, how exciting!” Whispered Clover excitedly. “I have never seen a real wasp before, although I have tried to countless times. Such a terrible demon has not been seen near our kingdom for ages! Tell me, what was it like when the monsters invaded?”
I was thoroughly taken aback. I had not expected Clover to react to my story with such interest! I had no idea how to answer his question.
“Well… It was quite terrifying, I suppose… They poisoned and mutilated many of my kin, and turned our entire village into their lair!” A sudden burst of inspiration hit. “You must understand, Clover, that our village was quite small compared to Candelabra. It gawked at this massive kingdom that you call your own. We figured that we could seek a new life here!”
“I thank you for the compliment and mourn your loss.” Clover said confidently. “Maybe someday you will share the real reason you have come. To fairest of days!” He turned and flitted off into the trees, his wings glinting green in the moonlight. We stood stunned at how quickly Clover had detected us.

My companions began to argue about what to do now that suspicion was brewing. I ignored them.
I watched as Clover flew slowly over to the forest wall bordering the clearing. His shamrock rustled in the breeze, yet somehow remained upon his head. He reached an opening in the undergrowth and stopped, gazing into the dark and haunting forest. He turned back once, and set off into the trees.

I found myself flitting involuntarily after him. Vaguely I heard my friends voices calling me back, asking where I was going. I did not heed them. The thick forest loomed ever closer, it’s scale magnified the closer I came.

Finally I stood before the path Clover had taken. It wound like a spider’s thread into the gigantic plants and trees, barely holding back the natural oblivion. A hollow feeling emanated from the dark, mysterious trail. I had the feeling that to stray from the path would result in endless numb wandering. I was truly unsettled by the untamed place that lay before me.

With that, I started down the trail. As soon as I entered the forest, the sounds of the night consumed my senses. Insects chirped all around, and foliage rustled as unnamed monstrosities stalked in the dark. I quickly lost the natural moonlight; It was drowned out by the trees above. I could still see perfectly in the dark, though. There were some benefits to being a faerie.

As I progressed I began to notice the faintest tinkling of a harp somewhere off in the woods. The path twisted and turned, and as I progressed the sound grew steadily more audible. The green torches from before when we had arrived now hung on the protrusions to my sides as I walked. The eerie, green light did nothing to help my unsettlement.

After a few more twists and turns, I arrived in a small clearing well-lit by six large torches. This fire was of the normal orange variety. Purple mist seeped into the clearing. In the center of the clearing sat a large round tree stump. Upon this stump lounged a tall, fair female faerie with no wings. She strummed a harp, playing the song that I had followed to get here. Her eyes were closed, her brow slightly furrowed. She wore a simple silk gown that pooled in a ring at her feet. Her fingers danced gently and gracefully, creating the beautiful, haunting melody that filled my ears now. I watched her play. A few minutes passed.
“H-Hello…?” I asked cautiously. The faerie’s eyes opened.
“Who are you?” She asked melodically, maintaining intimidatingly strong eye contact. “I have not had a visitor in a long time. A long time indeed.”
“Well,” I began, “I followed your music here.” At this she smiled faintly, her fingers lolling in their song. “My name is Kindler.”
“No, it is not.”
I sighed in frustration. “Everyone keeps saying that!”
She raised her eyebrows. “Because it is true,” She said. “Speak a lie, and some will notice.”
“Fine,” I spat in aggravation. “My true name is Arthur.”
Again she showed that maddening smile. “Thank you.”
“Of course.” I mumbled sarcastically. “Eternally at your service.”
“Do not be so quick to offer service!” The faerie exclaimed suddenly. “There are many who would accept such an offer, and you would be powerless to refuse, especially after having given them your true name.”
“Okay,” I said, uncomfortable after her strong response. A pause followed, broken only by her thrumming harp.
“Since you have been so courteous as to provide your name, I will do the same.” The woman said. “I am Melody. Oracle of the forest.”
“Oracle? Like you can see the future?”
“In simpleton terms, yes. But of course it is much more complicated than that. Folk of the forest come to me with questions, and I do my best to answer. Sometimes, though, it is not so easy.” I digested this.
“But… I didn’t seek you out, I just followed the music. I don’t have any questions.”
“Do you not?” Melody asked me. “Only those who have honorable questions that need answers can hear my music. That is why I get so few visitors anymore. Hardly any noble inquiries exist, anymore.”
“But… I don’t have a question!”
“Ah, yes…” Melody said. “I still have not yet adequately explained. My magic attracts those unaware of their needs. Any arrogant elitist can seek out an oracle to explain their self-important inquiries, but those with noble questions and humble intentions are often the ones with the most noble quests. You fit the second category, evidently, because you are here. You have a question, know it or not. Now you just need an answer…” The oracle’s ethereal voice and music had been lulling me to sleep. Startled by the absence of Melody’s voice, I stirred and spoke again.

“How do I find my question?”

“Do not ask me,” Melody mused. “Ask yourself. Why are you here?”

I sat and began to think. Why was I here? Why had I followed Clover, and then the music? I suppose it was curiosity… He had seemed so different than the other faeries, so… outside of their worlds and woes. And he had guessed our secret so early. In a way, he shared the same ethereal grace that melody did, somehow outside of the world. Although the faeries of Candelabra were still exquisitely beautiful and graceful, Clover and Melody seemed to… Amplify it. They seemed like more than faeries.

The question sprang out of my lips before I could stop it.

“Why are you and Clover so different from the other faeries? You seem so knowing, like you possess so many secrets. Something is wrong in Candelabra, I sense, but you seem unhindered by it’s unsettling perfection.” I took a deep breath.

“There it is!” Melody purred. She smiled knowingly down at me. “Isn’t it so nice to get the feeling of not knowing off one’s chest?” I did not respond.

“Worry not,” The oracle said. “Return to this clearing a week from tomorrow. I will have your answer. Farewell, Arthur.” She turned and strode into the purple mist.

. . .

I left the clearing and returned to Candelabra, pondering all that had transgressed over the evening. Upon returning to the kingdom again, I found Adrian, Peter, and Jasper waiting for me at the opening in the forest.
“What were you doing?” Peter asked frantically. “Why did you follow Clover? That faerie gave me the shivers.”
“I just wanted to explore,” I mumbled vaguely. “Nice walk.”
“Well,” Adrian said, “We’d best return to our sleeping quarters and turn in for the evening. The faeries here will be suspicious.”

We returned to our quarters. I don’t know about the others, but my sleep was quite fitful. In my dreams I wandered forests filled with strange laughter and beautifully haunting harps. Strange, purple mist hung in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment